Re: Passing variables between octave processes on the same machine

From: Pavel Hofman
Subject: Re: Passing variables between octave processes on the same machine
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2019 09:20:51 +0100

Hi,

Dne 22. 01. 19 v 3:56 Sergei Steshenko napsal(a):

I know that you've made a decision, but regarding"Creating small new files for each message is unfortunately not an option on ssd drives" - it's not an issue. First of all, modern SSD drives have pretty long lifespan, and even swap area is located on them.

Continuous creating/deleting 10 files a second for the purpose of communication is simply bad enginnering. Modern SSD drives may be more resilient, but people use old ones, some of my systems run on CF cards. Definitely not designed for this type of (useless) load.

IIRC UNIX default time after files are flushed to disk are 25 seconds.

For ext4 it is 5 secs. You would not want to loose 25 secs of data after a power loss. I could not find the figure for NTFS.

But anyway, good to discuss.

Best regards,

Pavel.