help-rcs

Re: Win32 RCS, Unix EOL

From: Aaron S. Hawley
Subject: Re: Win32 RCS, Unix EOL
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2005 12:50:25 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 28 Apr 2005, Lee Boekelheide wrote:

> It appears that there's a problem with the std Win32 dist of RCS.
>
> I had a file with a few revisions of history.  I checked it out, made
> some changes to it, and checked the changed version in.

Where did you get your Win32 distribution from?  You might contact the
maintainers of the distribution.

I haven't seen this before, but maybe others have. Is this bug recreatable
with a small example or only specific to a file you have in your
possession?

> [...]
>
> My hunch is some kind of mixup in file positioning using ftell, or "wb"
> or "rb" on fopen, because line sizes are different without the extra Cr.
> But before I started chasing the bug, I thought I'd ask.

If you're switching between different end-of-line characters, you might
switch over completely to binary file support by initializing the file as
binary (with `ci -b` or `rcs -b`).

/a