help-shishi

Re: Shishi 0.0.26

From: Elrond
Subject: Re: Shishi 0.0.26
Date: Wed, 17 May 2006 13:32:49 +0200

On Wed, May 17, 2006 at 12:30:24PM +0200, Simon Josefsson wrote:
> Russ Allbery <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > Simon Josefsson <address@hidden> writes:
> >
> >> I've also noticed that the libshishi-dev Depends is wrong:
> >
> >> Depends: libshishi0 (= 0.0.25-1)
> >
> >> It needs libidn11-dev and libgnutls-dev too, but I'm not sure how to
> >> make that happen automatically.
> >
> > Well, it only needs these for static linkage; beyond that, it's a libtool
> > bug that it attempts to link directly with shared library dependencies
> > when doing a shared build.
>
> Maybe it should be reported...

It's a well known problem for minimum one year.

I already ran around "rm /usr/lib/libfoo.la" to get some
packages building...

I have no plan, when and how it's going to be fixed.

> > pkg-config provides a mechanism to get this right.
>
> pkg-config doesn't handle cross-compiles and seem a bit fragile.

There are people trying to fix that somewhat.

I'll probably file an upstream bug for pkg.m4 running a
test-link to see, that the detected CFLAGS/LIBS are
working.
That should aid in the cross-compile issue.

    Elrond