help-shishi

Re: Shishi/GSS no-symbols-control-file lintian warning

From: Russ Allbery
Subject: Re: Shishi/GSS no-symbols-control-file lintian warning
Date: Mon, 02 Mar 2009 14:32:17 -0800

Simon Josefsson <address@hidden> writes:

> Sounds almost to good to be true. ;)
>
> What about all the generated files like PDF manuals?  I guess they go
> into the xdelta file?  The (uncompressed) difference between the version
> controlled Shishi source code and the content of a *.tar.gz archive
> seems to be about 5MB vs 20MB.  The savannah admins' concern was the
> size -- I removed around a GB when I removed the old releases of my
> projects that were checked into CVS on savannah.  So unless I've
> misunderstood how pristine-tar works I still think it won't scale.

Oh, you do still have to commit the complete upstream release into Git on
a separate branch -- that's true.  I hadn't realized that you were
comparing to only having the upstream distribution repository without the
releases and hadn't thought about the generated PDF manuals.

Git does have a reasonably efficient delta scheme, but I'm not sure how
well it deals with rebuilt PDF files from slightly modified source.

> Git is more problematic than CVS here because it will be painful to
> remove the xdelta files in the future if we commit them to the upstream
> git tree.

pristine-tar puts them on a separate branch which you can just delete and
then garbage-collect if you decide you don't want to keep them.  However,
it relies on having a branch that has an import of the upstream release
tarball, not just the upstream VC.

--
Russ Allbery (address@hidden)             <http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>