[Top][All Lists]

[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: [Help-smalltalk] Iliad: a stupid question about "stateful"

From: Stefan Schmiedl
Subject: Re: [Help-smalltalk] Iliad: a stupid question about "stateful"
Date: Thu, 30 Jul 2009 14:16:05 +0200

On Thu, 30 Jul 2009 12:43:27 +0300
Bèrto ëd Sèra <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hi!
> > This will work out of the box only as long as you have an ASCII based
> > transliteration of the link, I just tried defining a view method 'äöüß'
> > and it was not well received...
> This is a serious problem, because it also means that the dictionary
> cannot produce a sitemap with the words it contains. 

How would the sitemap be organized? I don't see the reason why
it should fail. What I said above is that the built-in Iliad way
of mapping the part of the URL following the application base path
to a view method will not work immediately.

As far as I can tell, you need a non-empty base path for Swazoo, since
it registers your application for handling urls starting with that path.
So you'd have to live with a base url like

anyways. Take a look at Core/Dispatching/ to find out
how you can get around this. It _might_ work to define an application
for each UI language, so that you can take advantage of the string
comparison used in applicationClassFor:.

> Among the first
> languages we have Arabic, Persian, Thao, Lao, Khmer, Japanese and
> Chinese... definitely no ASCII there. Even most western languages
> would be in trouble.

I don't think that it will be an insurmountable problem. You just
have to do it. It will be a nice addition to Iliad, when we found
something that works :-)

> > Come to think of it, I think there is a better way to do it.
> > IIRC, Joachim posted something about "show:onAnswer: ... there
> >
> > I need to check this out later.
> Hopefully it can solve the problem :) I cannot think of any easy way
> out, as AFAIK there is no apache rewrite rule that can manage to
> translit Chinese to Pinyin (chinese latin version), so that I could
> have a link in Chinese processed as an ASCII thing. Moreover, there is
> an ongoing process to allow non-ASCII domains, so if we think of using
> this code for a web-sites we will be confronted with the fact that
> full links will not be processable.

"Full" links aren't processed by Iliad, IIRC only the upper case parts
of the following pattern are:


The dispatcher uses the APP part to discover the Iliad application
to handle the request, then uses VIEW to determine the method that
is to be called, I don't know what happens to the rest of the path.

Maybe Nico has a few insights for us.


reply via email to

[Prev in Thread] Current Thread [Next in Thread]