help-source-highlight

Re: [Help-source-highlight] QSource-Highlight 0.2

From: Lorenzo Bettini
Subject: Re: [Help-source-highlight] QSource-Highlight 0.2
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 2009 23:22:31 +0100

Matthias Pospiech wrote:
Lorenzo Bettini schrieb:

actually they're both platform independent; it's true that they rely on a unix-like system for building, but in windows you have both cygwin and mingw/msys for that. Indeed there's a windows build of source-highlight that I did with mingw: http://www.lorenzobettini.it/software/source-highlight/

Actually I want to build it on my own. I need a mingw build compatible with the mingw Version of Qt 4.5 and a Visual Studio build for Version 2005, 2008 and soon 2010.

So what I really need is a solution to build the libary on windows on my own. What I do not understand in the first place is how I run the configure script without sh.

Hi Matthias

if you want to build it yourself then you also need a shell to run configure, and if you use mingw you'd need msys (which provides a shell and other tools); but to build source-highlight you also need the boost library for mingw.

Thus, if you haven't already setup such an environment mingw/msys it might take some time.

For this reason, I've just put up a binary distribution which includes source-highlight-qt library, boost regex library, and source-highlight (and its library) for window; if you feel like trying it you can download it from here http://gdn.dsi.unifi.it/~bettini/binaries/source-highlight-qt-win32-0.2.tar.gz (it's more than 6 mega of course); using this, I've also built the qeditexample (the example that uses source-highlight-qt, downloadable in source format from here http://sourceforge.net/projects/srchiliteqt/files/), e.g., here's the built binary: http://gdn.dsi.unifi.it/~bettini/binaries/qeditexample-win32-1.1.zip.

Of course, you still need the qt 4.5 dll libraries; in particular I've used the latest 4.5 qt distribution for windows (which also offers to download, during its installation, a minimal mingw compiler and corresponding .dll which is needed as well).

Note that once you have the above binary package of source-highlight-qt, then you can do everything with qmake; indeed qeditexample simply relies on qmake. Once I installed the above binary version (i.e., extracted the zip on C:, everything will be extracted into c:\usr\local...), I opened the Qt command prompt, and ran

qmake -recursive LIBS+="-L\usr\local\lib -lsource-highlight-qt4 -lsource-highlight -lboost_regex-mt" INCPATH+="\usr\local\include" qeditexample.pro

and then

mingw32-make

Note that qmake might complain since it cannot find pkg-config, the tool it will try to use to find source-highlight-qt library, but you can ignore it, since you provided it with LIBS and INCPATH.

Thus, if your build environment relies on qmake, you only need the above binary package (and you don't need to bother getting a unix shell like msys).

Using the same technique I'll build a windows version of qsource-highlight; in this case, since it's an application, I can add to the zip also the required qt and mingw dlls; instead in the case of source-highlight-qt, being a library intended to be used with qt, it's safe to assume that the user already has qt (and mingw) installed.

Please, do not hesitate to write for any further help; I'm pretty interested in making the use of source-highlight-qt under windows as well.

hope to hear from you soon
cheers
        Lorenzo

ICQ# lbetto, 16080134     (GNU/Linux User # 158233)
http://www.myspace.com/supertrouperabba
http://www.gnu.org/software/src-highlite
http://www.gnu.org/software/gengetopt
http://www.gnu.org/software/gengen http://doublecpp.sourceforge.net