help-source-highlight

Re: [Help-source-highlight] QSource-Highlight 0.2

From: Lorenzo Bettini
Subject: Re: [Help-source-highlight] QSource-Highlight 0.2
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 2009 15:03:46 +0100

Matthias Pospiech wrote:
Lorenzo Bettini schrieb:
Matthias Pospiech wrote:
Lorenzo Bettini schrieb:

actually they're both platform independent; it's true that they rely on a unix-like system for building, but in windows you have both cygwin and mingw/msys for that. Indeed there's a windows build of source-highlight that I did with mingw: http://www.lorenzobettini.it/software/source-highlight/

Actually I want to build it on my own. I need a mingw build compatible with the mingw Version of Qt 4.5 and a Visual Studio build for Version 2005, 2008 and soon 2010.

So what I really need is a solution to build the libary on windows on my own. What I do not understand in the first place is how I run the configure script without sh.

Hi Matthias

if you want to build it yourself then you also need a shell to run configure, and if you use mingw you'd need msys (which provides a shell and other tools); but to build source-highlight you also need the boost library for mingw.

Thus, if you haven't already setup such an environment mingw/msys it might take some time.

I was trying to set up a system with msys, but did not have success so far. However what bothers me most is the compilation with msvc. The only build step I could find is this one: http://folti.blogs.balabit.com/2009/08/compiling-autoconfmake-using-sources.html which is really a way to fight around all problems of autoconf on non.unix platform issues and not a clean solution.

I wonder how difficult building of source-highlight really is. I think putting all cpp+h files in a qmake project costs me only a few minutes. Only the boost libary might be a problem since it does not build as a shared libary on mingw.

Hi Matthias

probably I missed something: do you use mingw or msvc? As for msvc I cannot tell, since I basically don't use those build tools.

As for boost, why do you actually need a dll? can't you just use a static build of boost, like the one I inserted in the archive?

Have you tried to use the binary archive I told you about yesterday?
http://gdn.dsi.unifi.it/~bettini/binaries/source-highlight-qt-win32-0.2.tar.gz

If you need a version which is compatible with mingw and qt, then this version should do, since those are the tools I've built them with.

As for using qmake for source-highlight (and most importantly source-highlight-qt) it's a good idea. Note that I'm not willing to abandon autotools, but I think I can also provide the .pro files to be able to build them with qmake. Note that in that case it would only be a build of the library and binary and not of the documentation and related stuff.

hope to hear from you soon

cheers
        Lorenzo

ICQ# lbetto, 16080134     (GNU/Linux User # 158233)
http://www.myspace.com/supertrouperabba
http://www.gnu.org/software/src-highlite
http://www.gnu.org/software/gengetopt
http://www.gnu.org/software/gengen http://doublecpp.sourceforge.net