Newbie question: texi2pdf complains about \n

From: Treutwein; Bernhard
Subject: Newbie question: texi2pdf complains about \n
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2000 10:28:43 +0200

When I try to texi2pdf the GNU marst documentation,
I get several error messages complaining about \n
or \t. Replacing them with \\ does not cure it.

Since the neither maintainer of marst  nor myself are
texinfo experts, I ask for help:

what is wrong with the construct:

@example
       begin
            outstring(1, "Hello world!\n");
       end
@end example

it produces:

! Use of \ doesn't match its definition.
l.263       outstring(1, "Hello, world\n
                                        ")
? s

makeinfo runs flwalessly, but texi2dvi produces the
same problems.

I'm using Caldera eDesktop 2.4 with all current updates
and teTeX 1.06-4.

thanks in advance for any help
    Bernhard Treutwein         Tel. 089/2180-2774
    address@hidden