[help-texinfo] Re: translating automake infopage

From: Alexandre Duret-Lutz
Subject: [help-texinfo] Re: translating automake infopage
Date: Sat, 07 Aug 2004 02:24:50 +0200

[Moved from address@hidden

>>> "Cancerbero" == Cancerbero  <address@hidden> writes:

 Cancerbero> Hello.

Hi Cancerbero,

 Cancerbero> I don't know if this is the correct way to make
 Cancerbero> this kind of questions. If not, please let me know
 Cancerbero> where... (and excuse me for my bad english).

Let's move this to address@hidden and address@hidden

 Cancerbero> I would like to know if there exists an spannish
 Cancerbero> translation of the manual of automake (info
 Cancerbero> automake).

I don't know.  It sounds very unlikely to me.  (Mostly because
I'm skeptical about the worthiness of any such translation.)

 Cancerbero> If not, I would like to know how is the politic for
 Cancerbero> making such translation (where are the sources of
 Cancerbero> that documentation). Thanks.

The sources are in the doc/ directory if the Automake tarball.

I do not know If any politics for translated documentation exist.

First there is the translation hassle: the manual is in constant
flux, and keeping track of the changes using just `diff' seems
very expansive for the translator.  I wonder if tools similar to
gettext exist for manuals?  For instance some tool that would
update translated manuals automatically when some nodes or
paragraphs of the master copy have been reordered without
further changes; and mark paragraphs that need editing.

Also, there are the installation questions.  E.g., does `info'
supports several translated versions of a manual?  If yes, where
should they be installed and how should they be named?  (I see
nothing about this in the Texinfo manual, but maybe there are
plans for this.)
--
Alexandre Duret-Lutz