help-vcdimager

Re: [VCDImager] Newbie svcd quiestion

From: Roman Hochleitner
Subject: Re: [VCDImager] Newbie svcd quiestion
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2001 21:59:06 +0100 (CET)

On Thu, 13 Dec 2001, Matto Marjanovic wrote:

>  >The SVCD spec requires that the mpeg video be exactly 480x480
>  >resolution. No more, no less. Don't worry about the aspect ratio
>  >though--all pixels are not square and it will look just as it should.
>  >So, just scale in the width to 480 and you're good to go.
>
> I was under the impression that it was "2/3 D1" --- i.e. scaled from 720
>  to 480 in width (and height stays 480/576 as appropriate for NTSC/PAL).
>
> For NTSC:
>   This would mean a pixel aspect ratio of 11:15 (as opposed to 11:10 for
>   the original 720x480 frame).  A 640 wide source would need to be padded
>   to ~654 wide before being scaled to 480.
>
> True?

pixel aspect ratios are only relevant to MPEG 1
MPEG 2 uses display aspect ratios except the square pixel (==VGA) mode

 4:3 display
 16:9 display
 2.21:1 display

so in theory you could make a 120x800 movie with an display aspect ratio
of 4:3 and you'll get 4x3 as expected ;)

usually the DVD's are 4:3 with black borders, instead of 2.21:1 without
black borders, which would be much more decent on a 16:9 tv.

--
mfg Roman
Roman HOCHLEITNER              address@hidden