help-zile

[zile-devel] Update

From: Reuben Thomas
Subject: [zile-devel] Update
Date: Sun, 9 May 2004 20:36:00 +0200 (CEST)

I've just started sorting out the code that is really dependent on ncurses
from all the rest of the stuff in the term_ncurses directory this is more
"terminal-dependent" than specifically ncurses-dependent. I've already
moved term_ncurses/ncurses_minibuf.c to term_minibuf.c, using the stub
functions in term_ncurses.h to call ncurses functions.

Over time, I intend to move term_ncurses/*.c to term_*.c. The idea is
to make an intermediate terminal-independent layer which uses the
interface evolving in term_ncurses/term_ncurses.h (which will
eventually also be moved up a directory, and be called something like
zile_term.h).

The code that remains will be a far better indication of the real amount
of terminal-dependent code that zile requires. Providing it does not look
too horrible, I intend to write a back-end for termcap. I know this is
limited and obsolete, but it runs on pretty much anything, including
(which I am interested in) the Psion Revo (via the epocemx library).
Again, I think it fulfils zile's goal of being lean, mean and with as few
and as simple external dependencies as possible.

I really would like that to replace the ncurses back-end, but I am not
assuming that the other authors will agree with me, hence the route I am
taking to first extract the non-ncurses-specific code, leaving a working
ncurses back-end.

In other news, I have found a bug to do with screen update during
deletion. I happen to have an older CVS binary from March 14th in which
the bug does not show, so it's probably one of mine. I think it's cosmetic
only (Ctrl+L restores the screen to what I expect to see), so I'm not too
worried.

--
http://rrt.sc3d.org/
C++, n.  an octopus made by nailing extra legs onto a dog (Anon)