help-zile

[zile-devel] term_ncurses is dead

From: Reuben Thomas
Subject: [zile-devel] term_ncurses is dead
Date: Mon, 10 May 2004 18:57:38 +0200 (CEST)

I've now removed the term_ncurses directory. The terminal code is split
into two layers: term_*.c, and term_ncurses.c, which is the only file that
#includes ncurses.h.

This means that src no longer has any subdirectories, which is kind of
nice.

The next step is for me to write term_termio, or term_termcap, according
to taste. I suspect the latter is probably the better one to go for. Few
systems that have termcap don't have termio, and it's not obsolete. I
think it will also make it possible to retain features like waiting for a
key with timeout. In theory, I think it also supports colour, so there's
no need to drop any functionality.

Anyway, I won't be tackling this next job immediately, so do feel free to
play with the current version and make sure it's still working (AFAICS, it
is).

There are one or two features that I still think it would be worthwhile to
remove as Zile becomes more lean and mean. One in particular is displaying
the time in the status bar. It's not a crucial editing feature, it bloats
the documentation, and it makes the programming of the main loop rather
more complex (as David & I found out a little while ago). If we removed
it, there would be no particular reason to need waitkey any more (I think)
which could be the basis of considerable simplifications. I'd welcome
comments on all of this.

--
http://rrt.sc3d.org/ | impunity, n.  wealth (Bierce)