Re: [igraph] python version on macosx

From: Simone Gabbriellini
Subject: Re: [igraph] python version on macosx
Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2007 19:27:44 +0200

hi Tamas,

I am currently following your instructions, but can you tell me how to run the ez_setup.py file? I mean, what should I write in the bash terminal?
I know this should sound like a very silly question, but you know, I said "for dummies"... :)

thanks,
Simone

Il giorno 07/giu/07, alle ore 18:57, Tamas Nepusz ha scritto:

Dear Simone,

To cut the long story short: if you have an Intel-based Mac, I can
send you a Python Egg of igraph 0.4.2. Theoretically it is a fat
binary, so it should work on PPC-based Macs as well, but I have never
tried it, so it might fail. (The only reason I did not release it
officially is that I never had the chance to test it on Macs other
than my MacBook). To use a Python Egg, all you need is to download the
setuptools package from here (if you don't have it yet):

You should download the ez_setup.py script, run it from the command
line and let it take care of the rest of the installation process.
After that, you can simply use the egg by placing it somewhere in the
Python library path and typing "import igraph" from Python.

If you want to compile igraph from scratch, the usual way is the following:

1. Install a C compiler. The XCode Developer Tools package should
contain the GNU C compiler. You can download the XCode stuff from
Apple's homepage, but chances are that it's on the install DVD you
received with your Mac. You can test whether a C compiler is installed
on your computer by launching Terminal and entering 'gcc'. On my
computer, it looks like this:

address@hidden:~$ gcc
i686-apple-darwin8-gcc-4.0.1: no input files

The "no input files" message means that gcc is up and running.

2. Install the libxml2 library and its development package from Fink
or DarwinPorts. Personally I recommend downloading Fink from
http://www.finkproject.org, then download FinkCommander from
http://finkcommander.sf.net to install the following Fink packages:
libxml2, libxml2-bin, libxml2-shlibs

3. After that, download setuptools from
ez_setup.py script which installs it, then from the command line,
type: easy_install igraph. It should download igraph from the Python
Package Index, extract it, compile it into a Python egg and install it
to your Python library path. At least this is the way I do it  :)

Hope this helped. If you get stuck, feel free to mail me.