Re: [igraph] igraph Python: ImportError: DLL load failed

From: Tamas Nepusz
Subject: Re: [igraph] igraph Python: ImportError: DLL load failed
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2008 13:48:21 +0100

Tamas, another quick question. Can't we simply include these dll's in
igraph? I see this is a waste of disk space, but probably not more
than a Mb, so it might worth it.
Theoretically that's possible by altering the setup.py script: we must check the platform of the user and if it's Windows and we're building the Windows installer, we must add libxml2.dll and iconv.dll to the list of files to be installed. However, there are some minor flaws:

1. These DLLs get installed in the same directory where the files of the package will be. (Python root\Lib\site-packages\igraph). This can be considered an advantage or a disadvantage as well: clearly we're wasting space, but we can be sure that the required libraries are installed along with the package. Alternatively, we could try to infer the full path of the system32 subdirectory somehow and install our DLLs there, risking that we're overwriting a previous version of libxml2.

2. The two DLLs are roughly 2 Mbytes, therefore effectively doubling the size of the package.

--
T.