Re: [igraph] Clustering OR Connected Nodes in Igraph(Multiple Links)

From: Gábor Csárdi
Subject: Re: [igraph] Clustering OR Connected Nodes in Igraph(Multiple Links)
Date: Thu, 2 Apr 2009 01:12:56 +0200

Nathan,

2009/4/2 Surendar Swaminathan <address@hidden>:
[...]
> Like wise for each node pairs I created multiple entries in CSV file if they
> are connected multiple times.
>
> I ran Eigen,Closeness and Betweenness on those.(Closeness reamins the same
> if for multiple or Single Link)

I am not actually sure that these functions are correct for graphs
with multiple edges. Closeness seems to be correct if it does not
change, because multiple edges don't matter for closeness. Naively, I
would think that they should not matter for betweenness, either, but
maybe this is not true.

Maybe you wuld be better off using a weighted graph instead of one
with multiple edges. The last example of ?count.multiple shows how to
transform your graph.

> What I wanted to do is to come up with clusters or connected nodes.
>
> - example
>
>  If I have 5 nodes. A,B,C,D,E
>
>   A,B,C  have worked in 3 articles
>
>   A,B,C,D,E have worked in 1 article.
>
>  I am thinking it would make sense to group ABC together.
>
> What I have is 500 nodes like that.
>
> Is there anyway I can create clusters (I am not sure is this the correct
> word to use)  in Igraph.

Hmmm, the example is nice, but what would be actual definition of the
'clusters'?
Maybe you want cliques? Cliques are fully connected subgraphs. If this
is the case, then read ?cliques. If not, then please define what you
would like to do.

Best,
Gabor