Re: [igraph] Help for transitivity vs clustering

From: Gábor Csárdi
Subject: Re: [igraph] Help for transitivity vs clustering
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2013 10:32:39 -0400

Hi Charlotte,

there is indeed no consensus about the term AFAIK. The name 'transitivity' is older and comes from social networks. The name 'clustering coefficient' is newer, and came around when 'transitivity' was reinvented about 10-15 years ago.

There are basically two versions, one is a node-level index, the other is a network-level index, they are summarized well on the wikipedia page, I think:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clustering_coefficient
igraph can calculate both of them.

As for you application, look at how the measures are defined, and then think about what you actually want to measure in your network, to see which one is appropriate, assuming they are appropriate at all.

Best,
Gabor