info-gnuprologjava

Re: [Info-gnuprologjava] Deadlocks.

From: Daniel Thomas
Subject: Re: [Info-gnuprologjava] Deadlocks.
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2011 18:02:53 +0000

Hello,

On Mon, 2011-03-21 at 12:30 +0530, Jatin Puri wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I was going through the savannah bug tracker, and it seems there have
> been cases reported of dead-locks.

Yes when I was testing for concurrency flaws I found
https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?30630 this was found by running the inria
tests in parallel with 4 threads.

> I started browsing through the code, but the API doesnt much say about
> the policies it is performing say for example if a class is Thread
> confined, then there is no mention of it. Because if it is obviously
> there is no need to make it Thread-safe.

Indeed. This is rather irritating, unfortunately the original author did
not write much if any API documentation and I haven't documented the
basic functionality for everything user facing yet. My current idea for
addressing this problem is to use one of the automated means for
checking this information through annotations.
https://www.srcf.ucam.org/~drt24/blog/2010/10/proving-java-terminates-or-runs-forever-avoiding-deadlock-automatically-with-compile-time-checking/
 contains some of my thoughts on this (though not applied specifically to this
problem)

> So is there any file or diagram available which explains the process
> in brief ?. If not then it will be a time consuming task to understand
> the complete library and then sit to solve it.

The only documentation that exists it the documentation which I have
written. This constitutes the manual
http://www.gnu.org/software/gnuprologjava/manual/ and the API
documentation (which you have already found). Both are still
unfortunately rather lacking in content, particularly from the point of
view of development.

Fortunately there is someone who knows their way around the code base
(me) last year there wasn't anyone. If you have specific questions about
how things fit together then please ask me and I will write the answers
into the documentation.

> Best Regards,
> Jatin Puri
>
> --