Re: Configuring gnus for gmail

From: Tim McNamara
Subject: Re: Configuring gnus for gmail
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2006 11:23:15 -0600

rodolfo.medina@gmail.com writes:

> Sorry, my mistake: the output of Messages buffer is the following:
>
> Sending...
> Sending via mail...
> message-send-mail-with-sendmail: Sending...failed to sendmail: warning:
> My hostname localhost is not a fully qualified name - set myhostname or
> mydomain in /etc/postfix/main.cf; postdrop: warning: My hostname
> localhost is not a fully qualified name - set myhostname or mydomain in
> /etc/postfix/main.cf;

Have you configured Gnus to send mail from your local system using
sendmail, which is not part of Emacs/Gnus but instead a part of your
operating system?  It looks like sendmail is complaining that your
computer does not have a fully qualified domain name.  "localhost" is
not a FQDN, but is the default name for your computer until you have
configured the FQDN.  An FQDN for your computer would look like
mycomputer.myisp.com (just as smtp.gmail.com is the FQDN for their
server).

Can you configure Gnus to use smtpmail-send-it instead of sendmail?

(setq send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it)
(setq message-send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it)
(setq smtpmail-smtp-server "smtp.server")
(setq smtpmail-auth-credentials
      '(("smtp.server" portnumber "username" "password")))

You'd need to fill in the appropriate values for gmail's SMTP server,
the port (25 is the standard port, but a secure server may use a
different port),