Re: nntp and ssl

From: Anne & Lynn Wheeler
Subject: Re: nntp and ssl
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2006 11:54:35 -0600

muk@msu.edu (m. kolb) writes:
> Unfortunately I'm not sure what is happening there.  Can you just
> openssl s_client -connect newshost:563 from your machine and see what is
> happening?

about 20-30percent of the time ... i see freeze-up while reading
active file. it rarely freezes at any other point ....  openssl
0.9.8a-5.2; no gnus v0.5

first couple times i had to kill emacs and restart. i eventually did a
script that i run in another window that gets the process number of
openssl and kills it. turns out that it kills openssl and then after a
couple seconds it checks to see if it has to kill openssl a second
time (about half the time after it has killed openssl while reading
the active file, gnus continues a little bit and then freezes a second
time).

it then is good ... until the next get-new-news, at which point there
is about 1-in-3 chance it will repeat

it also freezes about 95 percent of the time when posting ... i run
the kill script; gnus then completes saying that the posting failed;
however the post was actually made (like is going to happen when this
is posted)