Re: a couple of newbie questions with gnus

From: Martin Jørgensen
Subject: Re: a couple of newbie questions with gnus
Date: Mon, 29 May 2006 20:13:47 +0200

Tassilo Horn <heimdall@uni-koblenz.de> writes:

> unoder.spam@spam.jay.net (Martin Jørgensen) writes:

-snip-
>> 1) Currently I use this "aquamacs emacs" since it was shipped with
>> auctex and previewtex and I don't know how to setup that from a "clean
>> emacs". So it constantly opens stupid windows that I can't "C-x o"
>> between.... I have to mouse-click them to select them... Annoying.
>
> To switch between "Frames" (thats emacsian for Windows in sense of
> window manager units) use `C-x 5 o'.

Oh, thanks. Nice.

> BTW: I've heard that Aquamacs is not that good. At least it's a
> de-emacsified emacs. So probably you want to switch to yaced [1].

I read that too...

>> 2) If I try open gnus from "yaced emacs" I get this:
>
> Oh, I see you tried yaced. :)

>> Wrote /Users/mac/.newsrc-dribble
>> Gnus auto-save file exists.  Do you want to read it? (y or n)
>> Reading /Users/mac/.newsrc.eld...
>> Reading active file from 192.168.1.134 via nntp...
>> No new newsgroups
>> Checking new news...
>> byte-code: gnus-agent-read-agentview no longer supports version 1.
>> Stop gnus, manually evaluate
>> gnus-agent-convert-to-compressed-agentview, then restart gnus.
>>
>> Anyone know what that's about?
>
> When the error happens, do
>
>   `M-x gnus-agent-convert-to-compressed-agentview'
>
> and restart Gnus.

It just writes [No match] next to the text.

>> 3) In mozilla thunderbird I enabled this option "Only show threads
>> with new postings" so it'll automatically show the whole thread *only
>> if* there are new replies in that thread. Threads where everything is
>> read won't be shown...
>>
>> This is really nice - is it possible to do something with gnus?
>
> Sure, that's the default. Did you set gnus-fetch-old-headers to
> anything?

I think the default is that it only shows new messages... But it doesn't
automatically show the old messages in that thread. I read something about how
to make it show all messages in a thread (including old ones) but I don't want
to do that manually for every thread. I didn't set any gnus-fetch-old-headers
value, at least that I know of.

Another small "problem":

My signature file contains the words below including "Best regards". So I
always have to delete the first ocurrence of '-' + '-' + ' ' but my signature
file already contains that (just above the "-----------------------...." line).
Is it possible to have the contents of the signature file appended to each
message without emacs inserts the extra signature delimiter '-' + '-' + ' '? I
hoped so...

Best regards
Martin Jørgensen

Home of Martin Jørgensen - http://www.martinjoergensen.dk