newbie questions: paste with qoute character and thread view?

From: Martin Jørgensen
Subject: newbie questions: paste with qoute character and thread view?
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2006 22:25:47 +0200

Hi,

Newbie questions:

Problem 1:
----------
I just began using gnus but sometimes I would like to
copy some text and then paste it as a quotation...

Like: If I copy paste this (too long line):
"ASDFASDF KAFLKJAKEJ RKALWEKLJAKKAS ASDFASDFKA FLKJAKEJR ASDFASDF KAFLKJAKEJ
RKALWEKLJAKKAS ASDFASDFKA FLKJAKEJR"

Then it should either become something like (with an extra ">" in front):
> "ASDFASDF KAFLKJAKEJ RKALWEKLJAKKAS ASDFASDFKA FLKJAKEJR ASDFASDF KAFLKJAKEJ
> RKALWEKLJAKKAS ASDFASDFKA FLKJAKEJR"

Or perhaps it should split up the line and insert ">" on each line?

> "ASDFASDF KAFLKJAKEJ RKALWEKLJAKKAS ASDFASDFKA FLKJAKEJR ASDFASDF
> KAFLKJAKEJ RKALWEKLJAKKAS ASDFASDFKA FLKJAKEJR"

Problem 2:
----------
Sometimes gnus doesn't get all the messages in the thread even though I
type "A T". I have a .gnus file with:

(setq gnus-fetch-old-headers 'some) ;; complete subthreads

Therefore sometimes I just type "^" on top of the posting that I want to
"follow"... I'm not really sure which of the old messages it shows me,
but I like how it's done in my old news-client:

1) Don't show anything at all, *except*
2) If there are new messages, then show only
3) all of the postings in that particular thread (both new and old)...

I don't think (setq gnus-fetch-old-headers 'some) solves my problem as
sometimes I would have to type ^ to see what an author replied to...

Best regards
Martin Jørgensen

Home of Martin Jørgensen - http://www.martinjoergensen.dk