Learning gnus for email only (Was: Re: Emacs Mailer Options)

From: harel barzilai
Subject: Learning gnus for email only (Was: Re: Emacs Mailer Options)
Date: 31 Dec 2006 23:14:15 -0800

Thanks for all the suggestions in the previous thread "Emacs Maier
Options"..I will look into the other options suggested (including rmail
antispam), and will add the tutorial url to the gnus.org manu urls I've
been reading.. but only so many minutes per day and so far I've
invested some good hours into the gnus-as-email reader pathway and it
looks workable...and hope a handful of questions here can have at least
that solution "up and running" for me..I might be only 3 or so
questions away from being able to use gnus for my purposes

(I was somewhat relieved to find
http://www.cyphertext.net/~gfish/mrd/gnus-overview.html which stated,
"To supplement the online Gnus manuals this is a brief overview of the
system. The online docs really do have a lot of information, but I had
a very hard time getting started with them, especially using Gnus to
read mail." so I'm not the only one who has struggled with the online
site (gnus.org/manual.html) but alas even "gfish" intro skips some
"chapter zero" items) So here goes with the questions..

A brief recap of my situation is at the bottom, skippable if you've
read it in my previous posts: but bottom line is I *must* use the
~/Maildir/ directory in my home dir in the shell account I have with
dreamhost.com and into which I ssh (via text only terminal program)
and from which shell I run emacs.. In the account in question all mail
is automatically put into ~/Maildir/ for me (or into new/ etc
subdirectories thereof I guess) My questions are..

1) Am I correct in my impression that I should NOT take the advice
   from the FAQ that

;; Q4.11 Using Gnus for mail and never news