Re: Question about sending E-mail using Gmail

From: Katsumi Yamaoka
Subject: Re: Question about sending E-mail using Gmail
Date: Tue, 29 May 2007 14:50:46 +0900

>>>>> In <f3g8c2$fiv$1@news-est.ocn.ad.jp> Wada Yusuke wrote:

> Dear users of gnus,
> Hello, my name is Wada Yusuke.
> I have a question about gnus.

Hi Wada-san.

> There is a probrem in sending an E-mail
> through SMTP server of Gmail.

I've never used the Gmail SMTP server (I'll try it later though
it is a bit difficult because I'm behind the firewall).  But I
guess the cause of your problem might be due to FLIM's smtpmail.

[...]

> (setq message-send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it)
> (setq smtp-server "smtp.gmail.com")
> (setq smtp-service 587)
> (setq smtp-use-sasl t)
> (setq smtp-use-starttls t)
> (setq smtp-sasl-user-name "yooskay@gmail.com")

(Emacs's smtpmail.el doesn't use `smtp-server', etc.)

Do you use FLIM intentionally?  If not, I think you'd better use
Emacs' smtpmail.el to discuss it particularly in this newsgroup.
Moreover, smtpmail.el you use might be very old because FLIM will
not install it since 2003.  The recent one has been much improved,
supports stattls, and works with Emacs 21 even though it is for
Emacs 22.  Here it is:

http://quimby.gnus.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/gnus/contrib/smtpmail.el

The way to use it is in the file itself.

> I am using gnus-5.10.6.
> I do not use 5.10.8 because there occures error
> in compiling it.

Could you let me know what happens when compiling Gnus 5.10.8?

Regards,