Re: Gnus gets stuck when network changes

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: Gnus gets stuck when network changes
Date: Mon, 03 Mar 2008 08:07:35 -0600

On Sun, 02 Mar 2008 15:32:22 +0900 William Xu <william.xwl@gmail.com> wrote:

WX> I have configured Gnus to check news automatically every some minutes.
WX> It works fine when I'm staying in one place, like company.  While, when
WX> after work, I go home by putting my notebook to sleep.  Back home, when
WX> I wake up the system, Gnus usually gets stuck, for like ten or more
WX> minutes ?  I can't do anything with emacs during that period.  I often
WX> have to kill and restart emacs at this time.  What is the problem here ?
WX> Any way to fix it ?

Can Emacs open a network connection outside Gnus?

For example try (url-insert-file-contents "http://google.com";) in a
temporary buffer.  That won't use any Gnus facilities.

Then try the same for your own mail server, if there's a web server
running on or near it.  If you can't get through, try command-line
telnet to port N (where N is your IMAP, POP, whatever port) and ping.
If those don't work either, the problem is outside of Emacs.

Ted