Re: Gnus gets stuck when network changes

From: William Xu
Subject: Re: Gnus gets stuck when network changes
Date: Wed, 05 Mar 2008 00:05:50 +0900

William Xu <william.xwl@gmail.com> writes:

> I have configured Gnus to check news automatically every some minutes.
> It works fine when I'm staying in one place, like company.  While, when
> after work, I go home by putting my notebook to sleep.  Back home, when
> I wake up the system, Gnus usually gets stuck, for like ten or more
> minutes ?  I can't do anything with emacs during that period.  I often
> have to kill and restart emacs at this time.  What is the problem here ?
> Any way to fix it ?

I captured some samples when that happens with ActivityMonitor.  Looks
like it is blocked due to the __semwait_signal.  The following is last
part in the sample.  (The full sample is attached.)

Anybody has more ideas of what is happening here?

---------------------------------8<-------------------------------------
    1925 Thread_2603
      1925 thread_start
        1925 _pthread_start
          1925 select$DARWIN_EXTSN
            1925 select$DARWIN_EXTSN
    1925 Thread_2703
      1925 thread_start
        1925 _pthread_start
          1925 CMMConvTask(void*)
            1925 pthreadSemaphoreWait(t_pthreadSemaphore*)
              1925 pthread_cond_wait$UNIX2003
                1925 __semwait_signal
                  1925 __semwait_signal

Total number in stack (recursive counted multiple, when >=5):

Sort by top of stack, same collapsed (when >= 5):
        __semwait_signal        1925
        select$DARWIN_EXTSN        1925
        mach_msg_trap        1919
Sample analysis of process 70764 written to file /dev/stdout

--
William

http://williamxu.net9.org