Re: how to let fetchmail's output shown in minibar?

From: Aaron Hsu
Subject: Re: how to let fetchmail's output shown in minibar?
Date: Wed, 05 Mar 2008 15:01:54 -0600

William Xu <william.xwl@gmail.com> writes:

> That i raise this question is because recently I'm playing with OS X's
> launchd daemon controller, which has a nice launch-on-demand feature.
> I'm not quite sure about which is better.  OS X tends to like
> launch-on-demand.

Mac OS X's use of Launch-On-Demand is fine, because the idea that they
are trying to get across is only loading things when they have to be
loaded. This would work with fetchmail too, if you so wanted. Under the
"Mac" philosophy here, having daemons running in the background is find
but they should be spawned when incoming connection demand their need.

However, there are plenty of times when you might not want to use launch
on demand, so take your pick. It's your machine, do as you wish with
it. For fetchmail, I think you can configure either a launch daemon to
run every so often, or you can have it be persisten and let fetchmail
handle that, either way is fine.
--
Aaron Hsu <arcfide@sacrideo.us> | Jabber: arcfide@jabber.org
``Government is the great fiction through which everybody endeavors to