Re: TLS and browse foreign server

From: Joel Reicher
Subject: Re: TLS and browse foreign server
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2008 03:38:17 GMT

Thomas Christensen <thomasc@thomaschristensen.org> writes:

> When I hit B in the group buffer og get to browse a foreign server.  I
> then type nnimap RET server RET, which lets me browse my IMAP service.
>
> Is there any way during this process I can convince Gnus to connect
> via TLS?  I know I can set it up in my .emacs et al to use TLS but I
> often subscribe to groups through the browse interface and would like
> to utilize TLS some times.

Is it just browsing you want or does it absolutely have to be browsing
of a foreign server?

The best way to do what you want, I think, is to put the obvious entry
in the gnus-secondary-select-methods list and then browse the server
from the server buffer, subscribing groups that way. After all, if
you're subscribing you don't want these groups to be ephemeral, right?

By the way, I would use .gnus for gnus settings, not .emacs.

Cheers,

        - Joel