info-sather

Main site for Sather downloads (was: sather-1.3-beta-7 uploaded)

From: Norbert Nemec
Subject: Main site for Sather downloads (was: sather-1.3-beta-7 uploaded)
Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2001 18:19:01 +0200

On Fri, Mar 23, 2001 at 07:08:56PM +1200, Keith Hopper wrote:
> In article <address@hidden>,
>    Lars Hupfeldt Nielsen <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
>
> > Could I suggest that we Sather is release from on place (Waikato) only. If
> > you
> > Keith delayed the release a few days in order to allow Nobbi to get the
> > Linux stuff
> > ready, and then Nobbi sent his changes back to you, then you could make
> > sure that
> > the Windows version was not broken before releasing. This would make things
> > look a
> > lot better from the outside, not having two releases with a few days in
> > between.
>
> I am quite happy to do this, but Nobbi seems to make changes which he sees
> as necessary - and for which I have insufficient knowledge about things
> like 'make' and makefiles to understand.  I am a real died-in-the-wool
> hands-on compile-one-by-one-and-then-link developer.  I have always hated
> using software that I am not in control of - like 'make'.

Do you really compile the distribution without using 'make'??!! Then I owe my
respect
to you! Even with make, it took me a long time to get everything compiled in
the correct order with all options etc. set correctly.

Up to now, I always had a few points to fix before I could upload a version
from Waikato to the GNU. It never was much I had to do, but there were always a
few tiny tweaks in the packages that IMO really would have confused someone who
tries to compile the package for the first time.

Surely, the current situation is not really satisfying - but it is the best we
can do at the moment. The professional solution would probably be to use a CVS,
but as I said before: that would mean some overhead, and up to now, it
definitely would not have paid.

As for the official place for releases: personally I always viewed the GNU site
as the place where most should download the release they are interested in. I'm
not aware that I have actually introduced Windows-specific bugs, and the delay
the current process caused in the past was not that much. In the last case,
p.e. the delay was simply caused by the fact that we decided that we should
wait for some more testing in the concurrent stuff before making a real public
release.

Ciao,
Nobbi

--