info-sather

Re: Assembler backend (was: GNU Sather Status)

From: Eray Ozkural
Subject: Re: Assembler backend (was: GNU Sather Status)
Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2001 11:20:22 +0300

Hi nobbi,

Norbert Nemec wrote:
> So, the way I propose would be to create a modular compiler with a C-backend
> which can then be optionally replaced by a assember backend.

Using an intermediate language is definitely not a wrong thing.
However, C language has its own assumptions, and might not be very effective
as an intermediate language. The affordance here is that C is quite portable.

How about making sather generate intermediate code for a known intermediate
language?

Thanks,

--
Eray (exa) Ozkural