info-sather

Re: [info-sather] Installing on VMWarev

From: Duke Normandin
Subject: Re: [info-sather] Installing on VMWarev
Date: Sat, 22 Sep 2012 13:07:30 -0600

On Friday, 21-Sep-12 11:34 PM, Sather User wrote:
On Fri, 21 Sep 2012, Duke Normandin wrote:
The next version will handle directories, symlinks and stuff via
system calls.  Linux oriented, but if it worked on VMware, that would
be a plus.

I'll have to get back to you.  I was SO pissed off at the install process,
that I nearly nuked Sather off my HDD. I'm going to leave it alone for a week,
and come back to it when I cool down. :D

Okay.  The next version, which I believe is now fairly close to
release, demands you to unpack the source and go: ./configure; make;
su; make install.  That is, on GNU/Linux.  Dunno about VMware.

Hope that doesn't piss you off so much.

So take a week or two to cool down, then check again.

I was reading some old Sather installation docs, so that may account for some
of the problems I'm having. L8r ...

Hmm.  I just overstated things.  If you're using GNU Sather version
1.2.3, all you have to do on GNU/Linux is unpack the source, set
SATHER_HOME=$(pwd), export it, unset SATHER_LIBRARY (which won't be
set, but if it was...), and type "make; make test; make testfull" and
you'll have compiled a lot of Sather source code with your new Sather
compiler.

I followed the instructions outlined here:

http://www.shido.info/sather/sa_install_e.html

Admittedly, I've probably misread something, and am suffering the consequences ....

I'll go ahead and removed the Sather installation and start again, using your instructions above. Thanks

[snip]

Admittedly, what you get is only the compiler, you then have to
compile the optional browser if you decide to exercise that option,
and the guesses at the locations of Tcl/Tk files needed by the tcltk
platform are inflexible and may be inadequate. And there are a few
other things out of date in the Tk department, and...  But a working
compiler, able to compile Sather source code in general, shouldn't be
too difficult.  If you have difficulties they might be
VMware-specific.

I'd be happy just getting the compiler working from emacs. The browser would be a bonus, but nice to have.

I'm impressed with VMware on this Win7 laptop. The Ubuntu distro runs with zero issues, as do all the other compilers, editors etc that I've installed. It's as if I was working on a standalone Linux box, but in actual fact, it's only a window on the Win7 desktop! Extra cool .... :D L8r ...
--
Duke
“Tolerance becomes a crime when applied to evil.” ― Thomas Mann