iris-user

[Iris-user] washbasin parent

From: Joan Kennedy
Subject: [Iris-user] washbasin parent
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2006 13:55:41 -0700

While we hesitated, things were marvellously solved. We traced their progress by thedegradation of the telegraph. Abdulla found grain:also flour; and some little booty of weapons, horses, ornaments. Our soldiers could see Deraa, Mezerib and Ghazale,the three key-stations, with their naked eyes.
The blockhouse surrendered at the same moment.
Nuriput his Hotchkiss gunners in the rock cracks, and rattled back at them.
Nuri agreed to cover my movements to the bridge as well as he could.
We mightcapture this before attacking the great bridge below Tell el Shehab.
Their very numbers hindered them but of course the affaircould have only one ending. Abdulla found grain:also flour; and some little booty of weapons, horses, ornaments.
Everyonehelped to clear it at speed, while Junor was being driven lower.
Nuriput his Hotchkiss gunners in the rock cracks, and rattled back at them. Hethrew us a message to say his petrol was finished. Their camels, in bleeding masses, struggled on theground. Thiswould be a generous reading of Allenbys three men and a boy withpistols. While we hesitated, things were marvellously solved. Visitors were our eyes, and had to be welcomed.
Things looked and sounded hot, but the Egyptians went on working asmethodically as they had eaten. Asusual when I lay down I dropped asleep, and slept till afternoon.
Nuri agreed to cover my movements to the bridge as well as he could. Thetrifle showed how much my nerve was on edge. He took ground beautifully,but the wind puffed across once more.
There were machine-guns galore, and sentries patrolling theapproaches with ceaseless energy. Things looked and sounded hot, but the Egyptians went on working asmethodically as they had eaten.
I rushed down, to findPeakes Egyptians making breakfast.
We had hardwork to assure him of our enlightenment. Nuri put, as thecondition of cease-fire, their instant ejectment of the Turks from thehouses. Nuri pointed out that delay at Mezerib might lose us thebridge, a greater objective. Tulips had been invented by Peakeand myself for this occasion. Fortunately everythingwent well, and after an hour Nuri gave me my signal.
Pisani cocked up his four mountain guns, and let fly some optimisticshrapnel.
Yet more were strewn in wreckage on the ground.