jailkit-users

RE: [Jailkit-users] What is the best solution for apps that require roo

From: Olivier Sessink
Subject: RE: [Jailkit-users] What is the best solution for apps that require root to run ?
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2006 16:51:26 +0200 (CEST)

>  Exactly, AIDE has to run on the real machine, i.e has to check the
> entire filesystem of the machine. Is there a way that could allow me to
> do this using a jailed user which could have high priviledges just to
> run the aide command to check the entire filesystem of the machine?

you are asking something conflicting: a user restricted from reading files
from the real filesystem (a jailed user) who has privileges to read all
files from the real filesystem... Perhaps I don't understand you
correctly, but it seems conflicting.

As far as I know, AIDE always needs to run as root on the real server. So
jailkit is not useful for this. However, you may create a jailed account
to transfer the aide database to another machine.

regards,
     Olivier