jailkit-users

Re: [Jailkit-users] Shared home directories inside of jail

From: dev
Subject: Re: [Jailkit-users] Shared home directories inside of jail
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2007 12:47:48 +0200

Hello Andrey,
Would it be unwise to just remove these last four lines (315-318)? What are
the security implications?

I am not knowledgeable enough to tell you if this is a bad idea, though generally I'd say that it is. I hope someone else can give an informed opinion on that issue. Have you thought of other ways of accomplishing the task at hand? I once had this situation: users required a private home directory and shared group directories all in a jail and accessible via sftp only (of course jailkit was involved). I solved that minor issue of "shared" directories by creating symlinks in the users' home directories. The symlinks pointed to the shared directories - set up with proper group permissions and group membership to achieve the goal. If your goal is to "redirect" them to the shared directory straight away, you may also succeed in using shell scripts or even environment variables. Generally openssh and sftp are very configurable, so you might want to try different solutions in that direction.
Cheers,
Stephen