koha-devel

Re: [Koha-devel] systempreferences (partial) cleaning

From: Owen Leonard
Subject: Re: [Koha-devel] systempreferences (partial) cleaning
Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2007 05:19:01 -0400

Based on my experience with dev_week:

> - ReadingHistory

We have two reading history preferences, opacreadinghistory and
intranetreadinghistory. Assuming these replace it, then ReadingHistory is
obsolete.

> - patronimages

Has patron image handling changed in 3.0? There's functionality built in to
dev_week (at least) that enables the display of patron photos on
circulation and member screens. The patronimages preference turns it on and
off.

> Reviewing them I see some systemprefs that are unknown to me :
> intranetuserjs, IntranetmainUserblock, item-level_itypes, kohaspsuggest,
> OpacMainUserBlock, opacuserjs, SpecifyDueDate

intranetuserjs is used to add a custom javascript file to the header of all
intranet pages. This allows an individual library to use javascript to
manipulate the DOM to change the way default Koha links and buttons behave
without changing the template. For instance, Nelsonville uses javascript to
redirect the "reserve list" link to our own custom reserve list script. The
same is true of opacuserjs.

IntranetmainUserblock allows a library to add a block of custom HTML to the
intranet home page. Nelsonville uses this to add frequently-used staff
intranet links, external search resources, etc.

OpacMainUserBlock allows a library to add custom content to the home page
of their OPAC. Nelsonville uses this area to add promotional links, banners
for upcoming releases, etc. We decided that it was better to offer the
library a "blank canvas" to add custom content than to try to fill the
space with search boxes.

SpecifyDueDate is a preference for turning on or off the ability in
circulation to specify a due date. Turning it off simply hides the due date
form and replaces it with hidden form fields that make the date fixed.

Those are the things I know about--again, based on my use of dev_week. I
know several of these were created for dev_week, but I don't know what
their status is outside of that version.

  -- Owen

----
Web Developer
Nelsonville Public Library