Re: configuration

From: Farid Hajji
Subject: Re: configuration
Date: Sat, 4 Nov 2000 04:44:35 +0100

> We also need to keep things from being x86 specific. If we want hurd to
> be successful we need to help make it platform independant (which it
> already mostly is). Same goes for the helper layers and whatnot. I
> personally don't care AT ALL for x86, I use Alphas and only Alphas. :-)=20
Good point! With respect to L4, x86 is a fairly restricted platform
due to the limited number of available general registers (short messages
are limited to 3 dword_t). x86 would be a limiting factor that we should
be aware of when differencienting between short and long messages.

One problem for Alpha is device drivers. Code reuse from OSKit would
obviously not be (portably) possible. Good to be forewarned.

-Farid.

--
Farid Hajji -- Unix Systems and Network Admin | Phone: +49-2131-67-555
Broicherdorfstr. 83, D-41564 Kaarst, Germany  | address@hidden