Re: configuration

From: Niels Möller
Subject: Re: configuration
Date: 08 Nov 2000 15:37:44 +0100

OKUJI Yoshinori <address@hidden> writes:

> From: address@hidden (Niels Möller)
>
> > Perhaps one ought to ask the autoconf people and rms what they think.
>
>   Really. Can you do that?

I mailed rms and the bug-gnu-utils list (I think that's the right list
for autoconf questions). According to rms, the canonical system name
for the "plain" mach-based hurd system should be
"CPU_TYPE-MANUFACTURER-hurd-gnu", not just "CPU_TYPE-MANUFACTURER-gnu"
as I thought. What does the current glibc use? Furthermore,

rms>  If it is crucial to distinguish the microkernels, we could
rms>  put them in too like this:
rms>
rms>    CPU_TYPE-MANUFACTURER-hurd-l4-gnu.
rms>
rms>  or like this:
rms>
rms>    CPU_TYPE-MANUFACTURER-hurd+l4-gnu.

Miles Bader replied that it makes more sense to switch the hurd and l4
components, giving "CPU_TYPE-MANUFACTURER-l4-hurd-gnu".

Miles>  Also this allows one to match against `*-hurd-gnu', which
Miles>  seems more natural than requiring people to remember to say
Miles>  `*-hurd*-gnu'.

My conclusion so far is that "CPU_TYPE-MANUFACTURER-l4-hurd-gnu" is a
reasonable canonical system name to use.

/Niels