Re: hurd-l4 VM server

From: Marcus Brinkmann
Subject: Re: hurd-l4 VM server
Date: Thu, 3 Apr 2003 15:41:01 +0200

On Thu, Apr 03, 2003 at 01:51:20PM +0200, Maurizio Boriani wrote:
>         So as you could had read on l4ka list I'm working on a VM server
> (which I've thinked for HURD but may be used by other subsystems).

Interesting, as a first cut at having virtual memory at all :)

Do you know about Neal's user space virtual memory management ideas?

http://web.walfield.org/pub/people/neal/papers/better-best-effort-20021026/
http://web.walfield.org/pub/people/neal/papers/gnu-virtual-memory-management-system-lsm-2002-07-14/

> * I'm thinking (and this is my question) which interface VM server
>   should have in order to be contacted and used from other HURD
>   (and others) servers. Should I "simply" code an IDL interface
>   mapping it 1-1 with uvm_extern.h or you can suggest something
>   better?

Well, Neals paper contain some suggestions about how such an interface
should look like, but it is a completely different design.  For a
monolithical vm server based on uvm, something like the current interface we
have in Mach is probably appropriate and blends in best with the code base
we have.  Note that user space paging is an essential feature in the Hurd.

There are some issues with the interface, in particular vm_map, which
concern us, though.  It would be nice to be able to map from several objects
atomically.  You should be able to find details in the hurd-devel archives,
althoguh I am not sure.  I could dig them out from my folders otherwise.

http://www.marcus-brinkmann.de/