Re: task server

From: Jeroen Dekkers
Subject: Re: task server
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2004 00:18:29 +0200

At Mon, 9 Aug 2004 23:13:14 +0200,
> I trust the FSF very much as it is now, and don't think I will have any
> problem with later versions when they are released.  However, I don't like to
> sign blank contracts.  This isn't a contract of course, it's a license, but
> still.  My problem is that later, when the FSF has changed, a new version may
> come out which is, say, like the BSD license.  In that case, I don't want to
> have all my code licensed under it just because I used the usual formulation.
>
> Of course I do see the problem that a new version of the license would be
> hindered by this.  If the FSF would somehow make official (in a legally
> binding way) that any next version will always keep the software free, then I
> would not have a problem with it.  However, as it is now, I don't like to
> allow later versions of the license.

From the GPL:
  9. The Free Software Foundation may publish revised and/or new
     versions of the General Public License from time to time.  Such
     new versions will be similar in spirit to the present version, but
     may differ in detail to address new problems or concerns.

     Each version is given a distinguishing version number.  If the
     Program specifies a version number of this License which applies
     to it and "any later version," you have the option of following
     the terms and conditions either of that version or of any later
     version published by the Free Software Foundation.  If the Program
     does not specify a version number of this License, you may choose
     any version ever published by the Free Software Foundation.

I think "similar in spirit" is enough to make e.g. the BSD license as
a next version invalid I think, I'm not a lawyer however.

Jeroen Dekkers