Re: Getting Started with Hurd-L4

From: Bas Wijnen
Subject: Re: Getting Started with Hurd-L4
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2004 00:30:43 +0200

Sam Mason wrote:
Why aren't the rootservers going to use it?  is it that glibc is just
too big and general purpose and the rootservers are generally going to
be doing such specalised stuff that it doesn't make it worthwhile, or
is it something else?

Libc will be implementing its services for a big part by calling physmem, task and perhaps some other servers. The rootserver (and physmem and task) cannot use that, of course. As for the other parts, the parts they need from it are currently in libc-parts. It's just the implementation from libc AFAIK, but it takes much less space, indeed.

>>[capability stuff by Marcus]
I'll try and keep my eyes out!  I'm assuming this is going to be the
basis for security in the system?

The capability system can be used by any server to provide secure access by clients. Physmem uses it to let tasks get and manipulate their mappings, task uses it to allow task creation and destruction, to name a few things. It's not all security-related, but if it has bugs, then they are likely a big security problem, because the tasks with access to the root server use it.

The only other part that has some merit is the wortel/startup.c and
wortel/wortel.c:start_task() code which shows how to spawn a new
program (ie, the exec protocol).  That is still under development,
though.

I think I found that already and tied myself in knots trying to figure
out how it worked.

Please tie a little more. There seems to be a bug somewhere there, and I've spend days trying to find it, so far without success. Currently I have the code from startup.c calling physmem, physmem picks up the call, replies and receives a timeout, meaning that the thread isn't in a receive ipc phase. That's not possible of course, as it just made a call (with infinite receive timeout.) Anyway, this isn't any stranger than what I saw before :-( If you could spot that problem, it would be great :-)

The rest (except for the other support libraries, like libhurd-slab
and libhurd-ihash, and libpthread) is basically bootstrap junk.

You you think they're going to be fleshed out more, or will they get
dumped as things progress?

Bootstrap stuff will always be needed of course. I think (but note I don't decide things here) that they'll get a bit more configurable, but stay roughly as they are. Or we may want to change the bootstrapping process, but I don't expect that to happen before the system can at least boot. Actually I don't expect it to happen after that either, as there isn't anything wrong with the current approach AFAIK.

Thanks,
Bas