Re: design goals vs mechanisms (was: Re: Let's do some coding :-)

From: Jonathan S. Shapiro
Subject: Re: design goals vs mechanisms (was: Re: Let's do some coding :-)
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2005 10:41:56 -0400

On Thu, 2005-10-27 at 12:01 +0200, Alfred M. Szmidt wrote:
>    What I want to ask now is: what *should* Hurd be? *How*
>    (concretely!)  should it be different from Linux?
>
> Must it be different from Linux?  If so, how different? So different
> that porting prgrams running on GNU/Linux require lots of work?  So
> different that supporting both programs in GNU projects is hard?

I don't know, but this is not speaking to the question I was asking. I
was not asking a question about APIs. I was asking a question about what
the end user sees.

Several people here have said "Linux sucks". If so, then there must be
some part of the Linux experience that people find frustrating. What is
it, and how can it be improved in a fundamental way?