Re: Changing from L4 to something else...

From: Bas Wijnen
Subject: Re: Changing from L4 to something else...
Date: Sun, 30 Oct 2005 18:58:54 +0100

On Sat, Oct 29, 2005 at 04:10:19AM +0200, Yoshinori K. Okuji wrote:
> On Friday 28 October 2005 07:10 pm, Jonathan Shapiro wrote:
> > It is a curious thing that people simultaneously want safety from the admin
> > and help from them. Sometimes you have to pick one or the other.
>
> You are right. Fortunately or unfortunately, this is the truth. So I
> repeatedly claim that balancing is the key point in making decisions.

Still, telling people "I am the owner of this computer, you can use it, and I
am not technically able to spy on you or change your things, except if you
give me your password" should be understandable for "normal" people.  When
they know this, they will also know that asking the the owner to change their
data without remembering their password will result in a negative response.
They may not like that, but I think they consider it a good idea to be
protected from the sysadmin.  And if they don't, nothing stops them from
installing a back door for him.  That is, this can be realised on a per-user
basis.  That sounds like a good idea to me. :-)

Thanks,
Bas