Re: Another question about self-paging

From: Jonathan S. Shapiro
Subject: Re: Another question about self-paging
Date: Sun, 30 Oct 2005 16:45:35 -0500

On Sun, 2005-10-30 at 20:51 +0100, ness wrote:
> Jonathan S. Shapiro wrote:
> > If you frame the problem this way, you will rapidly conclude that the
> > question of "sponsorship" is extremely complicated, and after a lot of
> > literature search
>
> Do you have pointers?

No, except in the sense that you can look at all of the existing
publications on market-based scheduling and the like, and after a while
you will conclude that none of them really solve the problem. The
underlying issue is that the resources are not infinitely subdivisible,
so the market structure does not exhibit continuously differential
pricing, and at a certain low point items fall out of sponsorship in
ways that the individual players are unable to predict.

When I wrote "it's an open problem", I mean it hasn't been solved yet,
which of course limits the availability of written solutions. :-)