Re: Supporting POSIX *users*

From: Filip Brcic
Subject: Re: Supporting POSIX *users*
Date: Tue, 1 Nov 2005 21:04:02 +0100

Дана Tuesday 01 November 2005 20:45, Christopher Nelson је написао(ла):
> > I don't know about guns, but riffles don't have any safety switch.
> > And comparing a gun to software is utterly silly, I have
> > never been able to kill my self with software, but I won't
> > even try to point a riffle up my nostril even if I know the
> > barrel is empty.
> 1) all legal semi-automatic or automatic weapons have a safety. (in the
> U.S.)
All legal weapons and as far as I know all illegal weapons as well in Serbia
have a safety.
> 2) other types of weapons have *implicit* safeties which require you to
> deliberately unlock, load, and relock a mechanism.  Bolt action rifles
> meet this requirement.  Revolvers have an implicit safety in that you
> must first cock the hammer.  Double-action revolvers have a safety.
Knifes have safety for closing the holster. Even Japanese Katanas have some
sort of safety (the sword cannot get out of the case on it's own, most of the
> 3) I was talking about shooting yourself in the foot.  I have a friend
> who shot himself in the leg with a .44 because his horse shied while he
> was roping another horse, the lariat got wrapped in the holster, and
> *boom*.  He didn't have his safety on, or else the safety was badly
> designed if it could be accidentally depressed.

Has anybody heard the saying: "In C you can easily should yourself in the leg,
but in C++ you can chop your arm off"? I thought you were referring to

> 4) bad software *does* kill people.  Software controls pacemakers,
> airplanes, cars, and many other devices that people depend on for their
> life.
All control systems (except analog ones which are not used too much at this
time) use some sort of micro-controller. Those control systems control the
behaviour of elevators, water supply, nuclear plants, etc. Therefore, not
only that bad software can kill people... it can kill clusters of people at

Filip Brcic <address@hidden>
WWWeb: http://purl.org/NET/brcha/home/
Jabber: address@hidden
Jabber: address@hidden