Re: How to add constructor to the Hurd?

From: Marcus Brinkmann
Subject: Re: How to add constructor to the Hurd?
Date: Wed, 03 May 2006 13:54:55 +0200

At Wed, 3 May 2006 12:43:19 +0200,
Pierre THIERRY <address@hidden> wrote:

> [1  <multipart/signed (7bit)>]
> [1.1  <text/plain; us-ascii (quoted-printable)>]
> Scribit Marcus Brinkmann dies 03/05/2006 hora 12:40:
> > The same people that make all the other decisions, the maintainers of
> > the project.
>
> How? With consensus, vote, or just one is sufficient to include
> something?

Whatever works for them/us.  So far, it has always been consensus
among the core maintainers, which is a very small number.  But the
rules would evolve with the project, for sure.

Look, I can not speak for others.  If you ask me what my personal
estimation is for what the chances are that any official GNU project
will ever support DRM, then I think I can safely say that the chances
are marginally zero, and if only for the reason that it would not be
tolerated by our benevolent dictator (which, I might add, is not the
only reason, but certainly a decisive one).

The reason that we are having these discussions at all is that we do
not just blindly accept what somebody else believes, but form our own
opinion, and then draw the consequences.  At least this is what I am
doing.  I hope that in the process everybody will get out a bit wiser.
But, if people feel that this is inappropriate in this forum, I am
happy to move it elsewhere (or drop it entirely).

In fact, if I had my GNU co-maintainer hat on, I would probably be
responsible to cut off the discussions and ask everybody, including
myself, to move it to gnu.misc.discuss (or somewhere else).

I'm not sure if any of this actually answers your questions on this
topic.  In general, I would recommend to anybody who is doing major
changes to an existing project to first ask if the work will be
accepted and on what grounds, before starting to work.  But this
assumes that there is in fact an existing project, and we can't really
say this about what we have so far (at least not in a state that would
allow for such specific questions).

Lot's of words to say "I don't know".  Sorry about that.