Re: regarding "HURD"

From: arnuld
Subject: Re: regarding "HURD"
Date: Wed, 8 Nov 2006 09:01:33 +0530

There are sometimes good reasons to not make software copyleft. You
shouldn't say that you will never work on non-copyleft software.

yes, i agree e.g if FBI or ATF wantes to use some secret software to
track down terrorists by intruding their privacy to protect Americans.
in that case, it is really essential to keep software non-free. see
down here.

It's fair enough to say that you will never work (directly) on non-free
software though.

this is exactly what i meant.

GNU has it's own micro-kernel it's called GNU Mach, this is the official
micro-kernel of the Hurd. Maybe you should work on that?[1] I don't
think there are too many people who are willing to work on a completely
new micro-kernel, and you'd be hard pressed to write a decent one by
yourself.

IIRC, GNU Mach is derived from CMU Mach. so we have not built our own
from scratch according to our own design principles.

 [1] http://hurd.gnufans.org/bin/view/Mach/GNUMachRevivalProject

i will check it before i post anything further.

Regards,
Daniel.

thanks Daniel :-)

-- arnuld