Re: regarding "HURD"

From: Daniel Martin
Subject: Re: regarding "HURD"
Date: Wed, 08 Nov 2006 01:37:42 +0000

On Tue, 2006-11-07 at 20:03 +0530, arnuld wrote:
> why i am doing this? because *technically* Linux was possible because
> of GNU. i am talking about tools & resources, not about freedom. even
> if you cut away the freedom part GNU still wins the technical ground &
> i am running a Linux based GNU system as my Desktop. that was possible
> because of (tools + GPL) of GNU. i want to give a contribution in
> return & i have decided that i will only work on "copyleft" softwares.
> i & this whole world owe many thanks to RMS.

There are sometimes good reasons to not make software copyleft. You
shouldn't say that you will never work on non-copyleft software. It's
fair enough to say that you will never work (directly) on non-free
software though.

> i also know that even after decades of work *we* are not able to
> create a microkernel based copyleft OS, one of my dreams. i include
> myself in *we* as FSF is doing work for users & developers, not for
> itself. after so much thought, i propose to write a new, fresh
> microkernel for HURD OS & i am willing to help in coding. i know it is
> not easy & i also know since early 1980s we kept on changing &
> changing because of *things outside* . it is not bad but we have
> neither failed nor succeeded, & that way from this path we carry lots
> of experience & specific technical knowledge that very few people on
> this planet possess. i propose to put our time & energy into the
> application of the expertise we have into the direction where we have
> never gone before, our own microkernel.

GNU has it's own micro-kernel it's called GNU Mach, this is the official
micro-kernel of the Hurd. Maybe you should work on that?[1] I don't
think there are too many people who are willing to work on a completely
new micro-kernel, and you'd be hard pressed to write a decent one by
yourself.

 [1] http://hurd.gnufans.org/bin/view/Mach/GNUMachRevivalProject

Regards,

Daniel.