libcdio-help

[Libcdio-help] Trouble with Teac CD-R55S and Teac CD-R50S, JVC XR-W2010

From: R. Bernstein
Subject: [Libcdio-help] Trouble with Teac CD-R55S and Teac CD-R50S, JVC XR-W2010 and Pinncale RCD-5020 (was: libcdio trouble with real SCSI device)
Date: Sat, 20 Oct 2007 05:44:14 -0400

This is from the wodim manual page

   teac_cdr50
      The driver for Teac CD-R50S, Teac CD-R55S, JVC  XR-W2010,
      Pinnacle  RCD-5020  is  auto-selected whenever one of the
      drives is found that is known to the non MMC command  set
      used  by  TEAC  and  JVC.  Note that many drives from JVC
      will not work because they do not correctly implement the
      documented  command set and JVC has been unwilling to fix
      or document the bugs.  There is no support for the session
      At Once write mode yet.

So it appears that these drives use a slightly different command set
for some operations. Clearly SCSI INQUIRY is one such command; you can
turn off that section of cd-info by adding the --no--disc-info option.

libcdio is pretty weak in the area of drive detection and supporting
non drives which aren't MMC-compliant. Unless someone is willing to
undertake writing a driver for the variants, such as the one indicated
above, it's not going to happen.

Finally on the oft-heard comment about a lack of SCSI or MMC
knowledge. Yes, most people including programmers don't know much about
SCSI or MMC. I didn't either when I started extracting libcdio code
from vcdimager. But if one puts in the effort, it's not all that
difficult; perhaps others experiencing a situation similar to
yourself will benefit from your efforts.

libcdio started as a result of a dislike of the DMCA (and whatever
it's European counterpart is called) and its application to DVDs
rather than a desire to know anything about CD's, SCSI or MMC or an
aptitude or affinity for working with any of these.