libconf-dev

[Libconf-dev] Re: shell template and whitespace around the =

From: Brian J. Murrell
Subject: [Libconf-dev] Re: shell template and whitespace around the =
Date: 14 Jun 2003 10:38:06 -0400

On Sat, 2003-06-14 at 10:05, address@hidden wrote:

> That's right :) mail is good

Mail is wonderful!  :-)

> What is missing is an exact explanation of what do the templates accept as
> valid and what they don't. I'll try to write it in the headers of the
> templates.

Cool.

> So, the initial rules I decided for the shell template was to stick with the
> shell behaviour. As far as I know, var = value is not valid in shell,

You are correct.  = is not allowed to have whitespace around it in the
Bourne shell.

> so in my
> opinion, the template should not recognize it as valid atom.

Fair enough.  I guess I was not seeing exactly why it was called the
shell template.  I understand now.

> That's why I planed to do a 'keyvalue' template,

Ahhhh.  Yes.  Cool.

> less restrictive, more robust,
> based on the shell template, with minor modifications (your regexp is one of
> them). In the initial libconf version, there was such a template, but because
> we rewrote the templates entirely, we forgot this keyvalue template. I'll add
> it this afternoon.

I wonder if the keyvalue template should even try to account for quotes
(as the shell template does).  I don't think I ever recall seeing a
value quoted, because generally with keyvalue type files, everything
including whitespace in (but not prefixing) the value is considered part
of the value.

b.

--
Brian J. Murrell <address@hidden>