Re: [libmicrohttpd] Why MHD latency is so high on Windows?

From: silvioprog
Subject: Re: [libmicrohttpd] Why MHD latency is so high on Windows?
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 2015 23:43:52 -0300

Hello Nils,

I can't found any `select.c` file and PlibC entry. :-/ Is this file available in the latest MHD release?

But, after your tip, I tried to debug the MHD sources, so I found a build flag called `TCP_FASTOPEN`, and after enable it in my cmake file, rebuilt the DLL and used the `MHD_USE_TCP_FASTOPEN` option in my app, the latency problem as solved, went down to about 3 and 5 ms. However, see this part of the MHD doc:

MHD_USE_TCP_FASTOPEN

Enable TCP_FASTOPEN on the listen socket. TCP_FASTOPEN is currently supported on Linux >= 3.6. On other systems using this option with cause MHD_start_daemon to fail.

But when I enable this flag it works fine on Windows (7, 8 and 10). Is this doc topic outdate or is really wrong to enable this flag on Windows? I just did a cast at the line 4030 of the `daemon.c` file to avoid compiler hints:

if (0 != setsockopt (socket_fd,
                     IPPROTO_TCP, TCP_FASTOPEN,
                     (const char *) &daemon->fastopen_queue_size,
                     sizeof (daemon->fastopen_queue_size)))

Does anyone have problem using this flag on Windows? If not, it should be interesting to update the *FASTOPEN doc topic.