Re: [libmicrohttpd] Sockets remain in CLOSE_WAIT state

From: Santos Das
Subject: Re: [libmicrohttpd] Sockets remain in CLOSE_WAIT state
Date: Sat, 5 Jan 2019 10:21:04 +0530

Hi Christian,

We see that at the end of the load run, the connections at the TCP server remain in CLOSE_WAIT state. We didn’t see this for single call. Also, I wanted to tell you that all our connection are initiated from a single IP as that is the load balancer IP and we are behind that.

We also observed that it  gets stuck in the CLOSE_WAIT state and remains there forever , i.e Sockets are seen in this state even after the default of TCP connection timeout.

From all my study, it points out the TCP stack  will keep the connection in CLOSE_WAIT state till the application call close on the socket.

Do we know when MHD call close normally ? Is there any instrumentation that could tell us why /whether FIN is sent from the Server or NOT ?

https://access.redhat.com/solutions/437133

CLOSE_WAIT - Indicates that the server has received the first FIN signal from the client and the connection is in the process of being closed. This means the socket is waiting for the application to execute close(). A socket can be in CLOSE_WAIT state indefinitely until the application closes it. Faulty scenarios would be like a file descriptor leak: server not executing close() on sockets leading to pile up of CLOSE_WAIT sockets